Alleviate Muscle Pain this Spring
Yard work and gardening are common chores – or hobbies – that is done in the warmer months. No matter how much you enjoy the task, it can bring about some pain and discomfort. The team at WellSpring Chiropractic wants to help you enjoy your springtime yard work and gardening as much as possible with the following tips.
Prepare for Your Task
Before you get started, follow these tips to help reduce muscle pain.
- Fill up your water bottle. Staying hydrated keeps your muscles fueled and helps prevent fatigue. This is important because when you’re fatigued, you’re likely to stop following proper lifting and bending procedures.
- Avoid mid-day work. Plan your tasks during the earlier or later parts of the day so you stay cooler. Doing this minimizes the chances of fatigue and dehydration, which lead to muscle pain.
- Stretch for a few minutes. Loosen up your muscles with a quick full-body stretch. Don’t forget your neck, back, legs, and shoulders.
- Wear the right footwear. You need supportive shoes that fit properly to avoid muscle strain and other injuries.
While You Work
Preparation is only one part. Follow these tips while you work:
- Stay hydrated. You’re going to be sweating and using your muscles, which can quickly leave you dehydrated. Keep your water close at all times and take constant sips, at the very least.
- Lift properly. You should use your legs for all the lifting – never your back.
- Take your time. Don’t rush through three hours of work to get it done in one hour, as this can lead to injuries. Take your time and be sure to take breaks.
When You’re Finished
The yard work and gardening might be complete, but there are a few more steps to take.
- Keep drinking water. You’re probably still at a deficit in the hydration department, so keep sipping on some water throughout the evening and the next day.
- Take a hot shower. This helps to relieve tension and rehydrate your body.
- Stretch your body again to relieve any tension that’s still present. This is also a good way to wind down and let your heart rate slow.
- Rest for a while. You’ve worked hard, so put your feet up for a while. If you feel any pain, applying ice or heat can help.
Schedule a Visit to Your Oakdale, MN Chiropractor
If you’ve injured yourself or still feel muscle pain after a few days, it’s time to let a chiropractor help. Call WellSpring Chiropractic at (651) 735-2201 to schedule an appointment.